These no fuss mini pizzas are a great party food idea. The crispy base of toasted bread is smothered with tomato puree and topped with all the classics; olives, ham, onion, basil and of course, mozzarella.
With Christmas just around the corner, it’s nice to have a few quick party food ideas up the sleeve. My first short cut tip is to use a baguette rather than going to the trouble of making pizza dough. How easy is that!
My second tip is to toast the bread in the oven (rather than under the grill/broiler). That way, the base also crisps up without having to turn the slices over. Before placing the slices in the oven, I brush the surface with olive oil; brush generously as this step is what gives the mini pizzas their gorgeous crispy base.
I’ve gone for the classic pizza toppings, but of course, you can add whatever you like. There are so many choices: salami, anchovies (my favourite), pineapple and pepperoni to name a few.
Once all the ingredients have been piled on, l return the tray to the oven and this is when l turn on the oven grill/broiler and cook until the cheese has melted to that gooey, stretchy consistency.
Hmm, now while l look at my photos, l think l could have given the pizzas more height by piling on extra ham and cheese. Next time!
Apart from all the yummy ingredients that you can add, the thing l love the most is biting into that crispy, crunchy base; you won’t find any soggy bottoms on my mini pizzas!!
Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 10 mins Servings: 20 mini pizzas
- 1 baguette (note 1)
- 30 kalamata olives
- 1 small red/Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup passata/tomato puree
- 250 g shredded mozzarella (note 2)
- 100 g ham, thinly sliced
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- olive oil for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180 C /350 F.
- Slice the baguette into roughly 1.5 cm/ 1/2″ slices. Place onto an oven tray.
- Brush generously with olive oil (I only brush one side).
- Place the mini pizzas in the oven and bake until golden. The underside will crisp up but won’t be golden.
- Remove from the oven. Spoon the passata onto each slice first, then continue by adding your favourite ingredients. Finish off by adding the mozzarella and thin slices of basil (see photos).
- Turn on the oven grill/broiler to 180 C/350 F. Return the mini pizzas to the oven. You’ll know when they’re ready when the cheese has melted.
- Thats’ it!!
- A baguette is a long, narrow loaf of bread. I bought a 30 cm baguette which (excluding the ends) gave me roughly 20 x 1.5 cm/ 1/2″ slices.
- As shredded mozzarella usually comes prepackaged (unless you shred your own), the smallest packet size l could buy was 250 g/9 oz.