Sophisticated yet simple! Pear, Parmesan and Rocket Salad combines the sweet crunchiness of pears, the sharpness of the cheese and the peppery flavour of rocket. Drizzled with a simple vinaigrette, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes!!
Simple ingredients with outstanding flavours! That’s my Pear, Parmesan and Rocket Salad! Every single ingredient has its own unique flavour and together they work a magical combination. You’ve got crunch, sweetness, saltiness together with the peppery flavour of rocket.
The only real decision you need to make is which variety of pears to buy.
That bit is your call. I prefer Packham Pears, but Beurre Bosc (the ones that have brownish skin) are just as good in this salad.
I suggest slicing the pears thinly (see photo on the left). Thin slices are delicate and look more elegant. No-one wants to chomp through big chunky bits of pear.
I also choose pears that are on the smaller side, again, small segments look nicer than huge ones.
The oh so simple dressing is also loaded with flavour. My big tip for this salad is to use extra virgin olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil is (l think) the best when it comes to dressings.
Now for the good bit, the recipe…
Preparation Time: 10- 12 minutes Servings: 4
- 2 small – medium size pears
- 120 g / 4 oz rocket
- 2 handfuls shaved parmesan
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- a squeeze of lemon juice (roughly 1 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp salt, black pepper
- Mix the dressing ingredients (except the black pepper) in a small bowl. Taste it, you might like to adjust it slightly to your own liking!! Set aside.
- Slice the ‘cheeks’ off the pears as shown in the photo. Try to avoid getting too close to the core. Cut the cheeks into thin slices.
- Place the rocket in a serving bowl or platter. Drizzle 1/2 the dressing over the rocket and gently toss. Add the pears and the shaved parmesan cheese. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salad.
- Add cracked pepper.
- It’s best to make this salad close to the time of serving. As it only needs about 10 minutes to put together, it should be a cinch!!