My Spicy Broccoli Soup is a thick and creamy soup that gets its incredible flavour from 2 types of cheese (parmesan and cheddar). I also add cayenne pepper for hit of spice. It’s what makes all the difference!
Spicy Broccoli Soup
Broccoli have been looking magnificent in the supermarkets lately that it’s a shame not to take advantage of their freshness and make a big pot of broccoli soup. But this isn’t just any broccoli soup. My special ingredient that lifts the soup to another level is cayenne pepper. It gives the soup added flavour and warmth. Just remember, only a pinch!
What you need to make Spicy Broccoli Soup
This is all you’ll need:
- broccoli and potatoes – the veggies
- butter, onion, garlic and cayenne pepper – the flavour base
- cheese – parmesan and cheddar – for creaminess and flavour
- vegetable or chicken stock / broth
Here’s how l make the soup:
- add the onion, garlic and cayenne pepper to the pot and saute.
- add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese and simmer until soft.
- blitz with a stick blender until smooth. The more you blitz the creamier the soup will become.
- stir through the cheese
I like to finish off my soup with extra cheese sprinkled on top and lightly fried panko crumbs for a bit of texture and crunch. For extra richness, add a few swirls of cream and serve with Italian crunchy bread.
The thick creaminess of the soup is a wonderful way to get your fill of healthy greens without feeling like you are actually eating greens.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 – 25 mins
- 30 g / 1 oz butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (note 1)
- 2 large potatoes (450 g / 1 lb) peeled and diced
- 5 cups of chicken or vegetable stock (note 2)
- 650 g / 1.5 lb broccoli, separated into florets (note 3)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium to high heat.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Saute until soft and golden.
- Add the potatoes, stock / broth, broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes and broccoli have softened, roughly 20 – 25 mins.
- Use a stick blender to puree the soup. If using a blender, allow soup to cool and blend in 2 batches.
- Stir through the cheeses. Have a taste. Add more seasoning if required.
- Serve in bowls garnished with extra cheese and lightly fried panko crumbs if desired.
- Cayenne peppers are quite hot chilli peppers that are ground to make the powdered spice. You may not think a tiny pinch makes much of a difference, but believe me it does. If you can tolerate lots of heat, add more.
- Stock cubes are a wonderful and easy way to make stock / broth. I use them all the time.
- Pick broccoli that’s really bright green and fresh looking. Avoid picking bunches that are not firm or are yellowing. And please don’t throw away the stems. Peel them, then slice into thin pieces to use in the soup.